Another Beautiful Day In Blingy-Ville!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I'm at war...

With this VERY STUBBORN 2 year old....
This is just a ENNSY WEENSY look at his spunk (he gets it from his dad ;) )
Today, I officially declare it, War Over The Foods Day.
Danzer Jack is the world's pickiest eater. I know all you mom's out there are rolling your eyes and thinking "what an exaggeration." But I dare ya to ask my husband and family about this child's eating habits. He is 2 years old and eats a diet ONLY consisting of baby food (sweet potatoes and peas), yogurt (only strawberry/banana and lemon), crackers (goldfish, nillas, and cheeze-its) and any form of chocolate he can get his hands on. Occasionally he'll have a fry. Really, that's it.
Now do the math in your head, 2 kids in diapers, 1 baby on formula, 1 toddler on baby food, wipes, and select snacks for toddler (which at our local grocer run about $4.29 a box). Do you want to guess how much that adds up to be in a month? It would scare the pants right off you.
Am I complaining? No. My kids are the GREATEST blessing I have ever received. In fact, I often think to myself "how did I get so lucky? Seriously, these are THE cutest kids in the world!"
But, I can't take it anymore. I used to think it was his ultra sensitive gag reflex, or the fact that he has projectile vomited from day 1. I used to think "well, he's getting lots of veggies so that's good right?" Then people started joking "you're going to have to send him to pre-school with baby food." Then I realized it was his stubbornness since he will eat ANY TEXTURE OR ANY FORM OF FOOD if it comes covered in chocolate. And the fact that he says he doesn't like something when he hasn't even tried it speaks volumes. Did I mention he was stubborn? Sometimes, being a good parent means making really hard decisions on behalf of your kids. So, it's starting. No baby food, no juice or milk unless he tries new food and attempts to eat it. So water, water, water and more water. And of course, fruit and veggies (real stuff, not what comes in the jar). Now, this was recommended by his Dr. mind you.... so it wasn't my idea and I've struggled with making this decision for MONTHS.
Yogurt in the morning, I can do. Baby food the rest of the day. Nope. Not gonna happen any more.
Wish me luck.

4 comments:

The Yoder's Five said...

Wow!! I had NO idea Danzer had food issues!! That is so hard for a mom. Madelyn ate like a bird for so long I'm amazed she grew at all. Luke isn't nearly so fussy about food and I can't believe what a relief it is that he just EATS. I feel for ya, sis!! Good luck with the new diet!!

Uffda said...

Good for you. I think that he wont let himself starve so eventually he will eat what you give him. We have to bribe Pj to eat somethings. Like taking his milk away till he eats a carrot or if he eats his carrots he can get down from the table. He has this lightning car that he carries everywhere we even take that away till he eats. I can't believe he still eats baby food. Pj refused to eat it after about 11 months.

Tanner and Kristin said...

Whoa...desperate moms really do call for desperate measures, right?! Good luck. It'll be hard, but I bet you're really glad in the long-run. It's kinda like Ace bandaging an unharmed arm and tying doors shut, right? Love you!

Dayna said...

oh my gosh! Good Luck girl!! I totally understand the picky eater. They say put it in front of him at least 16 times - well how about two years of it?? .... But we also have all the food allergies to deal with. I can't wait to see how your lil' guys does! Good Luck Mom - be strong!!