Another Beautiful Day In Blingy-Ville!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Nordy's


Today I had the rare opportunity to visit my beloved Nordy's. Oh how I love it. When I walk in I feel like I've just leaped into Vogue magazine. The linens, the textiles, the patterns, the colors, the smells. It's heaven. Something about surrounding yourself with beautiful things makes you feel beautiful. I don't get to visit my Nordy's very often as graduate students (which = no money) don't really get the opportunity to splurge on a new bag, shirt, or the latest pumps. But it's refreshing just to walk through the store on occasion. I found myself wishing so badly that I could just shop. Buy some beautiful blouses, amazing trousers, and oh my- those stilettos. But what was even more beautiful was the afternoon lunch date I had with my dear Allie at the Nordy's Cafe. She is absolutely one of the most sweet, delightful, and giving persons I have ever met. As we sat and chatted and enjoyed our delicious salads, I had an epiphany. Usually, I only get these in the shower or in the car, but today must have been special. All those beautiful bags, shoes, clothes, accessories really don't mean crap. Really, it's crap. Just something to adorn myself with. What really matters is beautiful friends like Allie. I have so many wonderful and amazing friends out there and I would rather enjoy a relaxed lunch with any of them than be dressed in the fanciest sexiest pair of stilettos that I could find
Not only am I blessed and lucky to have amazing friends, I have an amazing family who I can't begin to describe my love for , and a stellar husband who is beyond explanation. Really, I wouldn't know where to start. I am so proud that I was dressed in my Target shoes and blouse and the pride of a wonderful man who works so tirelessly to provide and take care of me. The sacrifice of graduate school really ends up being no sacrifice at all. Not only are his worth ethics amazing, his love is even better. Nothing in this world could ever compare. Now Nordy's, please don't take offense. I still love you, and one day, I will shop your racks... but you will NEVER compare to the true blessings of an amazing husband, a wonderful family, and cherished friends.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I totally agree and have these thoughts a lot since John is in law school, someday when we have more money, I am positive that this will be the time in life I will miss the most.

Mindy said...

Oh Kelly, I LOVE YOU, you are an amazing person, I have always thought that, I loved working with you at the good ol' Merc. You are a great friend, and so cute.

Tatum said...

Kell, you're a woman after my own heart. I am right there with you at Nordstrom, but you are absolutely right. Expensive as those fabulous See-Thru-Soul jeans or sexy stilletos may be, they don't add up to a lot. Thanks for the reminder.

Love ya!

alison said...

You're not supposed to make a pregnant woman cry!!! What a touching post. I had so much fun with you at lunch. Besides the perfect company to chat with, the food was the best I'd ever had! I didn't want to ruin the day by buying frivolous things at the mall. Your post put it best. It was just great being with a dear, sweet, friend. :) Love you tons!

Cammie said...

Here here! I've often thought that there should be a fragrance that smells like Nordstrom's I hate washing my jeans because I love that Nordy's smell.

You are right, there are some things in life that are just more important than others, and there's nothing wrong with Target....even when you're out of school!!!